Please note -- because many coconuts now are harvested using enslaved monkeys (captured from the wild as orphans, after their mothers are killed) it is very important to only purchase coconut products from companies that you are certain are not obtaining their coconut in this way. Let's Do Organics, is one such company. When I can find it, I prefer their, "reduced fat" shredded coconut. It works just as well in recipes, but has less calories and fat than their regular shredded coconut. Take a look and notice the difference in serving sizes between the two products as well:
2.5 TBS Regular Coconut 4 TBS Reduced Fat Coconut
Calories 90 70
Total Fat 10 6
Saturated Fat 9 5
Protein 1 1
Carbs 4 4
Although it does take some time to form each individual macaroon, this recipe is otherwise extremely simple to make.
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup ground golden flax seed
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups Let's Do Organics Shredded Coconut
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a cookie tray with parchment paper
- Place the coconut into a large bowl
- Place the water and flax into a blender and blend on high until thickened. Add the xanthan gum and blend for another minute until it is like egg white.
- Add the syrup, salt and vanilla extract and blend one last time. Then pour contents of blender into the coconut and use a spatula to scrape out every last drop. Stir well until all coconut is evenly moist.
- use your fingers to grab about a rounded TBS of the mixture and form it into a small macaroon shape (like in the photo above). Place these almost touching on the parchment paper lined cookie tray and bake in the middle of oven for about 15 minutes - just until they begin to brown. Remove and allow to cool completely before storing. They freeze well.