1 lb scrubbed sliced potatoes (about 2 medium sized)
½ lb scrubbed carrots ends removed and sliced (about 4 medium)
2 cups water (plus additional water as needed)
2 medium sized cloves of garlic peeled and coarsely chopped
1/3- ½ cup raw ORGANIC sunflower seeds (use less to reduce fat, more to make richer sauce) *
2 TBS Lemon juice
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp ground yellow mustard seed
¼ tsp chili powder
1 cup nutritional yeast (flakes or powder)
* Alternatively -- you can use 3-4 TBS of olive oil in place of the sunflower seeds -- this makes the recipe nut and seed free, and less expensive to make.
- Wash and scrub potatoes and carrots (if organic no need to peel) slice into about ½ inch thick slices and place intomedium sized covered sauce pan and bring to a boil on high.Turn down heat and simmer covered about 10 -15 minutes until vegetables are soft.Turn off heat.
- Place the potatoes, carrots and their cooking liquid into a large blender. Add additional water if needed to bring volume up to 4 cups.Add the raw garlic and blend on high until creamy.
- Measure out sunflower seeds and place them into a bowl and fill with water.Swish around a few times and drain through a strainer.Repeat a few times, then drain well and add to blender.Add the lemon juice, vinegar, salt, onioin powder, mustard and chili powder and blend on high until thoroughly blended and creamy.
- Add the nutritional yeast and blend one last time until well incorporated.If not using right away, transfer to a glass jar and store in refrigerator.Keeps well for about a week.